Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Silberman argues rather effectively a teleological interpretive approach to Romance in a Minor Key. The base idea as I understand it that Kautner used a narrative strategy that illuminates the metaphysical sacrifice of totalitarian subordination. While I agree with Silberman to the point that that the aspect of individual loss and consequences is certainly present in the narrative, I do not necessarily believe that it is was purposed in a propagandistic way. In other words, Kauner certainly gave bits and pieces in the thematic material--commenting on the authoritative state, but only so far as to expose the tragic melodrama of authoritarian rule. Silberman gives Kautner a little more propagandistic agancy than I am instictively comfortable with. I see Silberman's points, but I might argue that the commentary doesn't necessarily condition the audience into a conclusion like Jew Suss would. As a product of its time, the film reflects certain idiomatic traits, but the film may be misappropriated as a uniquely anti-authoritarian film, rather than a film which makes a running commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment